December 21, 2010

Exploring, Searching, Looking.....

We make the.....



mince pies every year. It has become a Christmas tradition in our house.
I use a simple biscuit pastry and so far bottled fruit mince as I was always under the impression that you had to make fruit mince months in advance, like the Christmas pudding. I learned last week though that this is not the case. Next year I shall be making the fruit mince as well.

Biscuit Pastry - Margaret Fulton.
125g (4oz) butter
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 egg beaten
1 cup plain flour
1 cup self raising flour

Cream buttter, beat in sugar little by little until mixture is white and fluffy. beat in egg and stir in flours. Knead lightly, wrap and chill about 20 mins, or until firm enough to roll.

Mince pies
Roll pastry, cut out rounds to fit your pie tins, a little fruit mince in each one and top with more pastry. I always cut star shapes for the tops, a la Nigella Lawson (my Domestic Goddess moment!) brush tops with milk or egg wash and bake for around 8 mins until golden, 180 degrees c.
When cool dust with icing sugar and serve.

Other stuff we have been doing this week.....
Exploring with friends at the veggie patch....
Searching out far horizons....
 Looking for our inner zen (at least Mama has)
Hope all your preparations are going well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a note.
I heart comments and read every one. I try to answer questions quickly so be sure to pop back if you asked me something.