I think I should be able to fix it, it won't be perfect but then it doesn't need to be!
So here is the first issue......
The backing is a old blanket that is seriously deteriorated. The binding is starting to get holes as well.
The top is looking a little worse for wear in several places.
I think what I need to do is remove the binding and backing, fix the top and attach a new back. I'm planning on some chenille for the back. I don't think my sewing skills will run to a binding, so I'm going to attempt to tie the layers together.
Any tips or advice out there?
How much meterage of batting and fabric should I buy?
I'm looking forward to this project, the little is very excited, he is anxious to get to the shops so he can choose his material. His favourite colour at the moment is pink, I think I might try and steer him towards the red or blues. Just for when pink is out of favour.
Chocolate birthday cake to be baked and presents to be wrapped tomorrow, I can't believe she is 16!
Oh, what a find! I can't sew a straight line, so I'm of no help there :)
ReplyDeleteAnd a big HIP HIP HOORAY for the birthday girl!!!
xx
Is the quilt sewn through all three layers? The top, the wadding and the back? If it is, you might just be able to lay a new backing right over the top of the old one to save you pulling the whole thing apart. You can cut the binding off. Making binding is not as difficult as you would think. You'll need to measure your quilt top and buy a few inches more than that of the batting and backing fabric and then half a meter or so of your binding fabric depending on how wide you would want it. How would you finish the edges if you don't bind it?
ReplyDeleteIf you get stuck we could always meet up for a coffee and I could explain it to you?
Blog post on repairing a quilt-
http://thequilter.blogspot.com/2010/01/repairing-quilt.html
How to bind a quilt-
http://www.craftandfabriclinks.com/TIPS/assemblebindqlt.html
Hope that helps!
:)
sixteen. such a special birthday. happy celebrating.
ReplyDeletei hope you share how you go about this. i am so curious. i have been searching for some chenille to back a beach quilt i am hoping to make. it will be my first.
You know Kristi, I am curious too.
ReplyDeleteI will share the journey.
Are you making a beach quilt from your own pattern? I love the ones that have been popping up around the blogs.
I saw chenille advertised at Spotlight, I hope they have some left otherwise it will be Plan B and I don't actually have a have Plan B at the moment. lol.