March 5, 2011

Hippy Muesli

Every week or two I make a huge batch of Dirty Hippy Muesli. So named as it is based on a recipe that supposedly developed on a San Francisco commune in the 70's.... who knows if that is true but it truly is delicious.
Dirty Hippy Muesli
1/2 cup maple syrup
2/3 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla
4 tbs water
2/3 cup grapeseed oil (or canola)
Combine these and set aside.

8 cups rolled oats
2 cups puffed rice (not rice bubbles)
1 cup sunflower seeds (kernals)
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1/3 cup linseeds
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1 cup chopped nuts (I use hazelnuts but you choose)
1 1/2 cups shredded coconut (make sure you use shredded not dessicated)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon plus a bit more (just add it until it smells right to you)
of course you can add or subtract from these ingredients to suit you but I usually end up with something like this.
Mix these together then pour over the oil/maple syrup mixture and stir until all the oats are coated.
Pour out onto trays in a thin layer and put in the oven at about 170 C. After about 10 minutes take out the trays and turn over the museli keep rotating the trays and turning the muesli every 10 minutes or so until it is a dark golden brown. Watch it towards the end as it will catch and burn quite quickly.
Whilst it is baking chop up enough dried fruit to suit you. Some people like a lot of fruit some not so much. I have these variants in my family.... sometimes I will cater to this and use two different jars with different amounts of fruit in the muesli, but mostly not!
Depending on what I have in the pantry I will put in..
apricots
apple
sultanas
currants
cranberries
mango
pear
fig
Once muesli is toasted pour it back into a bowl and let it cool, stir through the fruit and pour into jars.
Eat, it is yummy for breakfast with milk or for morning tea with yoghurt, and my biggest always reaches for it when he is looking for a midnight snack!
You can halve this recipe. In fact when I started making this I would make smaller batches but the amount has grown over the years as the family as grown. Perhaps if you want to taste test it first, a small batch would be the plan.

And my music of choice to listen to whilst making Dirty Hippy Muesli..........
well it has to be
Of course! (as the middle would say!)
Love, love, love Hot August Night.

Now I'm off to sit on the sofa with my poor coughing little one and plan which fingerless mitts I will knit, and hopefully get a couple of rows done on the current wip.
The weather has turned cool, windy and wet here, perfect for snuggling, knitting, tea and recovering.

5 comments:

  1. Oh thanks this sounds real yummy, I love muesli :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH, I need a recipe like this. Though I cook I don't have much time for it. This would be great for those morning rushes or hungry afternoon snacks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids love museli and I have been wanting to try making my own...thanks for sharing this recipe :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your Dirty Hippie Museli! I think I will try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got wrapped up into the recipe and forgot to tell you that I have a blog party called Tuesday's Tasty Tidbits. Would love you to post this recipe and join us. http://permanentposies.com/2011/03/mango-pico-de-gallo-and-fajitas/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a note.
I heart comments and read every one. I try to answer questions quickly so be sure to pop back if you asked me something.